Thursday, August 28, 2008

Kinja II - Galbi


I love going to Kinja II. The ladies there now recognize me as a regular, even over the phone when I call in my pickup order. There's the one out front who is the hostess/ waitress/ cashier; the one who is the sushi chef; and the one who works in the back cooking. The one in the back is older and I think the mother of the other two. I'm all about supporting the family enterprise.

Today I decided to get the galbi plate. Galbi is Korean short ribs which are marinated and then grilled. The marinade usually consists of soy sauce, garlic, and sugar. While this version is delicious (maybe a tad bit salty), I think my mom's is way better. She got her recipe from my grandfather who got it while he was over in Korea during the Korean War.

The galbi is served with a generous portion of steamed white rice and some common Korean sides: kim chee (fermented cabbage), daikon (pickled radish), and beans which I don't know the name of. The Korean sides are served cold and the aroma instantly takes me back to childhood. At dinner someone would usually crack open a bottle of kim chee or daikon and there was no mistaking the smell.

As I mentioned before, the prices at Kinja II are a bit steep for lunch ($15.95 for this plate which is the most expensive thing on the menu) but considering the quantity of food served, this is really enough for two meals. In fact I am saving the rest for lunch tomorrow.

Nothing beats steaming hot rice, some good protein, and familiar spicy side dishes--this is comfort food to me, forget the mac 'n cheese!

My rating (on this dish): 3.75 out of 5

Kinja II Sushi Express
1944 Walton Way
706-737-3333

No comments: