Monday, August 25, 2008

Mom's home cooking

I haven't been back home to Hawaii in 5 years so I am really looking forward to this trip. I have already told Mom that I am preparing a list of things she NEEDS to cook while I am there so 1) I can learn how to make it, 2) I can take a picture of it as it's supposed to look, 3) I can satisfy these cravings I've been having for her cooking for a long time.

So here is the list so far (I reserve the right to update it as I think of more):

Chicken Kalamungai: made with green papayas, kalamungai leaves, a light broth, and of course, chicken. This is so good over rice with soy sauce. Total comfort food.

Pancit: filipino noodle dish made with shrimp, onions, carrots, and a host of other veggies. There is a lot of prep work involved with this dish but that is part of what makes it so special to me. I have fond memories of making this on Thanksgiving mornings with mom.

Patele: puerto rican dish similar to a tamale, except the masa is made from green bananas instead of corn and the inside stew meat is very different in flavor and texture. There is an enormous amount of preparation that goes into this dish requiring all-hands-on-deck-all-day. We would make many dozens of these and freeze them individually so that you could later take out just what you needed, steam them, and devour them.

Adobo: tangy, vinegary, aromatic filipino dish that smells up the whole house. There's no need to ask what's for dinner when this is cooking! Pork or chicken, it's all good.

Chicken Long Rice: shredded chicken, ginger, mushrooms, green onions, and cellophane noodles in a light broth. Another broke-da-mouth dish when served over rice with soy sauce. Mmmm.

No comments: