Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Banana Lumpia

Hawaii's tropical climate and the abundance of banana trees around my parent's home means constant banana goodness.

The variety they grow is called apple bananas which is different from what you normally find in the grocery store. These are short and stubby and unbelievably sweet. It's no wonder bananas are one of my favorite fruits.

Growing up I remember Mom was always looking for ways to use up the bananas whenever a bunch became ripe. I have fond memories of her banana bread and banana pancakes. I especially love her banana lumpia. We cooked some up a couple of times during this trip.

Lumpia is the Filipino version of an egg roll. They can be sweet (like these filled with banana and cinnamon sugar) or savory (filled with meat and veggies). There is definitely a technique to rolling them--you want to make sure they are tight otherwise they become a sloppy mess as you are frying them.

Yes, it saddens me to say they are fried; their one negative characteristic. I hadn't eaten anything fried months prior to this, and almost felt guilty as I consumed these crispy, golden treats. Almost.

No comments: