Friday, September 5, 2008

Sushi clarification

A little lesson on the various types of sushi from wikipedia.com:

In Japanese cuisine, sushi is vinegared rice usually topped with other ingredients, including fish, various meats, and vegetables. Outside of Japan, sushi is sometimes misunderstood to mean the raw fish itself, or even any fresh raw-seafood dishes. In Japan, sliced raw fish alone is called sashimi and is distinct from sushi, as sashimi is the raw fish component, not the rice component.

There are various types of sushi:
  • makizushi: sushi served rolled inside nori

  • nigirizushi: sushi made with toppings laid with hand-formed clumps of rice

  • inarizushi: toppings stuffed into a small pouch of fried tofu

  • chirashi-zushi: toppings served scattered over a bowl of sushi rice

I have had all types of sushi listed above and am a huge fan of sashimi; however, I am a bit of a seafood snob so unless I am on the coast or back home in Hawaii where I know the seafood is fresh, I pass on the raw stuff. I believe so many people dislike fish because all they've had is previously frozen or old, unfresh seafood. I think they would quickly change their mind if they could try it fresh.

I say all this because I realize my reviews and posts about sushi all have to do with non-raw items and I didn't want you to think I was a faux-sushi fan. I truly do like all sushi, and especially love sashimi, but only if it is fresh. Maybe when we are home later this month I can get one of my brothers or dad to catch us something. Then I'll be more than happy to put together a post about sashimi!

No comments: