Thursday, September 18, 2008

TakoSushi Part Deux

You would think with reimbursement for corporate travel I would always be eating at new and fancy places. The truth is, I am usually so busy whenever I am traveling that I barely have time to squeeze in meals.

I say all this because I just spent the past 3 days out of town on business yet didn't get to eat anything interesting. Therefore, I decided I needed some sushi for lunch today. I went to TakoSushi and tried two new rolls in addition to the pork potstickers.

Right off the bat you notice these are not your typical potstickers. Guotie dumplings (a.k.a. potstickers as they are known in the west) are usually pan fried and then steamed.

These were deep fried with the bottom half cooked longer in order to resemble the classic potsticker look. The pork filling was flavorful and overall these were pretty good. However, the original method of cooking, which happens to be healthier for you, results in a more interesting texture. These dumplings were served with a spicy soy-based dipping sauce.

The two sushi rolls I got were delish!
  • Shrimp Tempura: tempura shrimp, mayo, avocado, cucumber, masago
  • ChopChop: chopped scallops, spicy mayo, scallions, asparagus

The shrimp tempura roll included a generous amount of masago (other places often skimp on this) and the tempura was cooked perfectly.

The scallops in the chopchop roll were raw and very fresh. The spicy mayo gave it a nice kick and the crisp, raw asparagus finished it off in a refreshing way. I would definitely order both rolls again and I would also recommend them too.

My rating: 4 out of 5

TakoSushi
Surrey Center
437 Highland Avenue
706-736-9191
http://www.tako-sushi.com/

P.S. Yes, the images are terrible. I forgot my new camera at home so I had to revert back to the cell phone camera.

No comments: