Wednesday, September 3, 2008

P.F. Chang's

After church tonight Brian and I had dinner at P.F. Chang's. We had eaten there before (other locations in Birmingham and Atlanta) and the service was always excellent. But our waitress, Adrienne, kicked it up a notch further and made our experience there one to enjoy. I am all about customer service so when we get someone good they are amply rewarded. I don't typically tip 60% but Adrienne deserved it.

We started with Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps which included delectable morsels of spiced chicken, water chestnuts, and scallions cooked in a sweet chili sauce. The meat mixture is spooned into an iceberg lettuce "cup" which we topped with the special sauce that Adrienne mixed up for us and then ate the whole thing with our hands. As Rachael Ray likes to say--Yummo! The special sauce included all of the condiments on the table tray: generous spoonfuls of the chinese mustard and chili paste added to the potsticker sauce, a few dashes of the vinegar and soy sayce, and extra heavy dashes of the chili oil.

For our entrée we got the Kung Pao Chicken which is cooked "quick-fire" style with peanuts, chili peppers, and scallions. It was cooked to perfection and while we were warned about the peppers, Brian took me up on my dare and ate one. I think I saw smoke coming out of his ears as he quickly reached for the vinegar to extinguish the fire! We always opt for the brown rice there--I don't know if it's the type of rice (short-grain brown rice?) or how they prepare it, but to me it's wonderfully nutty and delicious.

We finished off our meal with the mini desserts. This whole idea of a mini dessert in a shot glass has really taken off and is a brilliant concept in my opinion. You get just the right amount, a couple of spoonfuls to cap off the meal. Easy on the pocket book, but more importantly easy on the waistline!

The atmosphere is classic Chinese with a modern bistro look punctuated with earthy and natural materials such as slate and wood. The dramatic lighting sets the mood and Brian even commented on how the big chandeliers really set off the room. I would definitely recommend P.F. Chang's to anyone. Fabulous food, wonderful ambiance, and great service--what more could you ask for?

My rating: 5 out of 5

P.F. Chang's China Bistro
3450 Wrightsboro Road
706-733-0161
http://www.pfchangs.com/menu.shtml

No comments: