Saturday, September 27, 2008

Crab!

Our first night in Hawaii Mom arranged a cookout so we could spend some time with everyone apart from the actual wedding night which would be hectic. Most of Uncle Jimmy’s kids (and their kids) made it as did Dad, my brothers, and their families. We had a great time and the spread was absolutely delicious: shoyu chicken (chicken braised in a sweet soy-based sauce), sour pork (grilled pork mixed with onions and tomatoes and dressed in a soy/vinegar sauce), noodles, smoked fish, steak, fresh crab, patele (Puerto Rican dish similar to an enchilada), and of course, rice. A mango cheesecake topped off the meal.

Unfortunately, I got so caught up in visiting that I didn’t think to take pictures of the table, but I did get some of Brian working on the crab. Fresh samoan crab that were plucked out of the water only a few hours before consumption—no condiments necessary. My brothers and step-brothers thoroughly enjoyed showing Brian the best way to get into the crab in order to maximize meat retrieval.

I think Brian is starting to understand why I am the ‘seafood snob’ that I am. When you grow up eating seafood this fresh it is difficult to enjoy anything else.

No comments: