Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kinja II - Hawaiian Soup

As I walked into Kinja II this afternoon, I knew I wanted to try something different. Since they have a pretty wide selection of Korean dishes that aren't listed on the menu, I asked the waitress for some ideas. After learning that I liked soups she suggested the Hawaiian Soup so that's what I got.

It was hearty, filling, and very spicy--pepper spicy. It was good but way more intense than I am used to so it opened up the sinuses! Generous pieces of chicken, mushrooms, onions, scallions served up in a rich broth with cellophane (clear) noodles. It reminded me of the "chicken long rice" dish I had growing up, only kicked up a few notches. It was served with a side of steamed white rice.

Even though the food was not completely to my liking, I still enjoyed the meal because I learned that the waitress (who I have referred to in previous posts as the older "mom" lady in the back) is married to someone who is from Hawaii and has family on the Big Island. Turns out the three women who work there aren't related like I had assumed, but they share a familiarity and comfort that can only be attained through years of close friendship.

I had fun reminiscing with Yung (that's her name, by the way) about Hawaii and explained I was heading there in a few weeks. She talked about her in-laws and relatives, and even referred to her "aunties"--I love hearing familiar words like that since all I ever hear around here is the more formal version that my nieces and nephews call me by: "Aunt Brandee".

I probably won't order the soup again but I will definitely make my way back to Kinja II. There are more dishes for me to try and now a new and unexpected tie to home.

My rating: 2.5 out of 5

Kinja II Sushi Express
1944 Walton Way
706-737-3333

No comments: